We believe that personal, social, health and citizenship education (PSHCE) enables children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society. We will provide children with the tools to understand how they are developing personally and socially and so allow them to successfully tackle many of the moral, social and cultural issues that form part of growing up. In using 'Every Child Matters' as a foundation on which to develop the children's PSHCE skills, we will aim to focus on well-being to enable children and young people to embrace change, feel positive about themselves and enjoy healthy, safe, responsible and fulfilled lives. In terms of economic well-being and financial capability, we will aim to teach young people to develop as questioning and informed consumers and learn to manage their money and finances effectively.
Through PSHCE, we will aim for all learners to:
• Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle (in line with the National Healthy Schools guidance)
• Be aware of safety issues
• Understand what makes a good relationship with others
• Have respect for other people
• Be independent and responsible members of the school community, demonstrating behaviours adopted in our school values
• Develop self-confidence and self-esteem and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues
• Develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community
• Gain the knowledge, skills and understanding to play an effective role in public life
• Play an active role in the life of their schools, neighbourhoods, communities and wider society as active citizens
We will use a range of teaching and learning styles within PSHCE. We will place an emphasis on active learning by including the children in discussions, investigations and practical problem-solving activities. Active citizenship will be promoted with teaching and learning, embracing pupil voice and involvement. We will utilise the strengths and expertise of others in the school and the wider community with incoming visitors to enhance learning.